News - FASHION BUG WITHDRAWS CHARGES AGAINST THE SUSPECTS ON THE PEPILIYANA ATTACK IN AN ATTEMPT TO PRESERVE NATIONAL HARMONY
STATEMENT BY FASHION BUG - 2013/04/02
Colombo, 2nd April 2013: 17 suspects arrested including 3 Buddhist monks were produced at the Gangodawila Court this morning following the attacks launched on the Fashion Bug warehouse and office complex in Pepiliyana, last Thursday. The 200 strong mob which had commenced its first attack at a business institution situated close to the Fashion Bug head office and warehouse for reason unknown to the management of Fashion Bug, had later moved towards Fashion Bug taking an ethnic flavour.
The suspects were arrested for causing extensive damages to the building, merchandise and vehicles. The attack had been recorded by some media personnel who were near the Fashion bug when the attack took place and also in some in house CCTV cameras.
When the case was taken up in court today the aggrieved party (Fashion Bug) informed court that it was not necessary to detain the suspects particularly the monks in remand for the purpose of holding an identification parade as such a situation could further erode the national harmony and thereby cause serious damage and prejudice locally as well as internationally. Therefore in a bid to maintain peace it was informed to court that Fashion Bug has no intention to continue with the action any further with a view to having the offenders being punished by court.
The police too approved the submission of the aggrieved party and informed court that because of the responsible civic conscious attitude of Fashion Bug, they were able to stop an incident which would otherwise have developed into a national issue and moved court to discharge the suspects after severely warning them not repeat an incident of this nature.
Accordingly, court discharged the suspects after warning them that in the future if they repeat this kind of unruly behavior they would be dealt with severely.
Senior Deputy Inspector General of Western Province Mr. Anura Senanayake reiterated at the Gangodawila Court premises this afternoon that the said incident that said to have fueled the attack had no connection to Fashion Bug or any of its employees. “ To withdraw their claims in the name of National Peace, nevertheless being the victims of an attack of this magnitude, is truly exemplary” he asserted.
Management of Fashion Bug claimed “The recent attack had caused the company much damage – both physical and emotional. Yet withdrawing the case in spite of all that, was the right thing to do as a responsible corporate citizen to mitigate possible implications and promote unity as one nation”
The Fashion Bug also thanked the media who was very corporative and understood the truth and brought the correct message to the public to secure the interest of The Nation.
The Management further stated: 'We take this opportunity to extend our gratitude to His Excellency The President Mahinda Rajapaksa for his vehement pursuit of truth and justice with regard to the matter. We also want to thank the Police and in particular the Senior Deputy Inspector General of Western Province Mr. Anura Senanayake for establishing justice, all officials of the Special Forces for providing security, the team of lawyers for their guidance, all Leaders for their counsel , all media for their relentless drive in divulging the truth, every member of Fashion Bug staff around the country who perseveringly stood their ground with us and our valued customers who stood by us through this trying experience.